But we are far from defeated! We are planning mass peaceful and legal protest with the residents of this famous street and supporters from across the city - and we need you! Sheffielders love this road, both for its Christmas lights and the best Spring blossom in the city. So:
- Contact Ann Anderson (email copied in) or myself, Sally Goldsmith at the email address above, for precise details if you can help. We need bodies next week!
- If you live on the street next to a threatened tree, we urgently need your permission to stand in your garden to prevent felling. (The injunction only applies if you are standing on the public highway, so this is perfectly legal.)
It is our large and iconic trees which survive and which need our protection. As well as Abbeydale Park Rise, we are still protecting 7 gorgeous limes on Chatsworth Road, the venerable Vernon Road oak, 2 large majestic plane trees and a large graceful ash on Aldam Road and an elegant and unusual alder on Aldam Way. Keep looking out and contact us on the numbers below if you see anything.
Paul Selby, from our sister Nether Edge group, offered some rousing and hopeful words last week to their supporters. Despite the injunctions against breaching safety barriers he says that the Campaign there is far from over and is still very successfully preventing or slowing down fellings. For example, on Sheldon Road on one day it took 10 Amey workers 6 hours to take half the canopy of just one tree, before they had to go home. He says: "They really felt the pressure of 20+ campaigners scrutinising what they were doing, making sure health and safety was precisely observed. Plus the fact that four campaigners were standing in a garden (with permission from the owner) under the canopy of the tree, required the crews to work very carefully indeed. As a result, despite losing half its canopy, that tree is still easily saveable."
Publicity about the plight of our trees continues, both locally and nationally. Paul says "All in all, we are shining the light on Sheffield Council's arrogant and misleading behaviour and inability/unwillingness to act to save trees, despite near universal condemnation. The worlds eyes are now watching, and your support on the streets this next few weeks will be absolutely crucial." Here are some links to some of that publicity and other action:
- Last week Countryfile were filming here in Totley and across the city.Their piece on the Street Tree Campaign will be shown on 1st October
- A piece by me about the Aldam Way alder and the people protecting it is published on the Woodland Trust's Tree Charter blog here: https://treecharter.uk/2017/09/18/the-alder/ My report on the alder is currently with the Council who are investigating our allegations of deception and our challenges on the need to fell.
- Campaigners have been measuring trees and collecting data and have helped expert arborist Ian Dalton to calculate the asset value of the healthy trees that have either already been felled, or are soon to be felled at £66.1 million. See following weblink for the details. https://treecharter.uk/2017/09/12/true-value-trees/
- Patrick Barkham for the Guardian wrote this brilliant article based on evidence we sent him at the following weblink: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/11/price-urban-trees-chainsaw-chestnuts-london-elm-sheffield
- Loyal campaigner Jenny Saul wrote a superb blog for Huffington Post at the following weblink: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-democracy-commits-suicide-the-sheffield-trees_us_59ba7b4ee4b06b71800c3707
- The petition to get Jeremy Corbyn to mediate has gathered strong support. Please click the link and add your support if you haven't already. There is a plan for someone who will be highly embarrassing for Sheffield Council to hand the petition to Jeremy Corbyn in the near future...!https://www.change.org/p/jeremy-corbyn-mp-jeremy-corbyn-please-mediate-the-sheffield-trees-crisis
Despite the injunctions, the fight is far from over as you can see. Keep writing, keep up with the news and crucially next week, help us with garden permissions and with peaceful legal mass protest on Abbeydale Park Rise. Rest assured you won't be alone! The eyes of the city and further afield will be on this road too.
Thanks for your support,
Sally Goldsmith 07887 383 282
Ann Anderson 07715 623 523